Monday, June 8, 2009

In a land far far away

I was thinking about my friend Anne, who just moved to Australia. She lived in Washington state when I first met her (only a few months ago). It is strange to think that we have not know each other very long, but we get on so well together. Lately I have been working long hours and she has been catching up with her man. This makes it hard for us to chat...that and the time difference. I miss the times we chat, and look forward to the next opportunity.

This friendship, and many of my other new friendships illustrate to me, that distance does not limit the depth one can feel for another human being. Of course, the fact that we have met in person and spent time together helps to better know each other. I am pretty sure that I would not have become as close to Anne, if I had not met her. I enjoy meeting the people I meet online. It gives me a better reference point to the actual tone and person. I can see how the Internet thing becomes addictive. I am able to chat with others, that I have more in common with, than the people around here. the only difference is, that they are brought to me via a remote tool.

Is our interaction changed because of it? Maybe, maybe not. I think that I would still be friends with these people, because they are honest and open with me. If someone is not honest and open, then the words are the depth of that relationship, and that is not very deep.

Fairy tales begin with...In a land far far away. For me, it's just my new friends, and it feels real.

No comments:

Post a Comment